The Interview That Stayed With Me

Campus recruitment days are usually predictable.

A long line of enthusiastic graduates. Back-to-back interviews. Endless introductions that begin with names, branches, and aspirations. By lunchtime that day, I had completed all the interviews assigned to my panel and joined the rest of the recruitment team for a quick break.

Just as lunch was wrapping up, one of the organizers approached me.

"There's one more candidate left. Would you mind interviewing him after lunch?"

I agreed and returned to my interview room.

A few minutes passed.

The organizers informed me they couldn't reach the candidate on his phone. We decided to wait a little longer, assuming he had stepped away for lunch.

Barely two or three minutes later...

Bang!

The door flew open.

A young man walked in without knocking. Behind him was a college coordinator, slightly out of breath, asking if I needed the candidate's résumé. I nodded, accepted the CV, and the coordinator quietly left the room.

The candidate sat before me in a formal business suit. His long hair was tied into a hurried ponytail, with loose strands falling across his face. It wasn't his hairstyle that caught my attention—it was the way he entered the room and carried himself.

Still, appearances and first impressions can be misleading.

As interviewers, our responsibility is to look beyond them and give every candidate a fair opportunity.

So we began.

I started with simple questions to help him settle in.

"Tell me about yourself."

His introduction lasted only a few seconds.

He mentioned his name.

His institute.

And then... silence.

I encouraged him with follow-up questions, hoping he would open up. Throughout the conversation, one thing became evident—he was technically strong. In fact, he possessed knowledge in areas that many fresh graduates wouldn't even explore. His interests were unique, and his technical foundation was impressive.

Yet something didn't add up.

Communication wasn't the real concern.

Confidence wasn't either.

It was the behavioural aspect.

There was little curiosity, very little engagement, and almost no effort to build a conversation. I kept giving him opportunities to elaborate, explain his experiences, or simply let his personality come through.

But every opportunity was met with another short answer.

Eventually, I thanked him for his time.

As he walked out, I found myself undecided.

His technical skills clearly deserved appreciation, but recruitment isn't only about solving technical problems. Every new hire eventually becomes part of a team, collaborates with clients, learns from mentors, and represents the organization.

I wanted more context before making a decision.

Outside the interview room, I found one of the professors coordinating the recruitment drive. Fortunately, he belonged to the candidate's department and knew him well.

I requested an honest, unbiased opinion—not to influence my judgment, but to understand whether what I had observed during those thirty minutes reflected the candidate's usual behaviour.

The professor agreed to share his feedback.

I decided to keep that information aside for the moment and continued interviewing the remaining candidates. Only after completing all interviews did I sit down with the HR representative to discuss this particular case.

Together, we reviewed the interview, compared observations, considered the additional feedback, and arrived at our decision.

That interview left me thinking.

Technical knowledge may get you shortlisted.

It may even get you into the interview room.

But professionalism, communication, humility, and attitude often determine whether you walk out with an offer.

Because organizations don't just hire skills.

They hire people.

Your knowledge opens the door, but your attitude decides how far you'll go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Office party @ Pivo Garten Mundhwa

Bhai ki sagai

Bestie ki shaadi