The Invitation That Made Me Smile

Wedding season brings with it a different kind of excitement. Families get busy with shopping, decorations, guest lists, and countless last-minute arrangements. One of my teammates was right in the middle of all this as his sister's wedding preparations were in full swing.
One day, while we were on a work call, he mentioned that he wanted to hand me the wedding invitation personally in the office. It was a thoughtful gesture, and we continued discussing work as usual. Like many conversations with him, the discussion soon drifted beyond the agenda.
He was at the beginning of his career—curious, energetic, and never short of questions or unusual ideas. That day, he came up with one that I had never heard before.
"Ma'am," he said, "I want your name to appear on the invitation as Special Appearance."
For a moment, I wasn't sure if I had heard him correctly.
I laughed and explained, "That's something you usually see when celebrities or famous personalities attend an event. Their names are printed because people are excited to meet them. We work together. You may respect me, but the rest of the guests have no idea who I am."
He wasn't convinced.
In his mind, people holding senior positions in their professions also deserved that recognition. To him, leadership itself was worthy of celebration. It was an innocent thought, spoken with complete sincerity.
I had never seen anything like that on wedding invitations—not in my family, nor in the part of the country where I grew up. Yet his comment stayed with me long after the conversation ended.
It made me wonder...
Perhaps one day, if my name ever does appear under "Special Appearance," I hope it won't be because of the designation I held or the title printed on my business card.
I hope it will be because I built something meaningful, inspired people, created a lasting impact, or achieved something that genuinely deserves to be celebrated.
Titles introduce us.
Our work is what makes us worth remembering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Office party @ Pivo Garten Mundhwa

Bhai ki sagai

Bestie ki shaadi