He Owed Me Nothing, Yet He Came
There are some people who leave an impression on your life without ever becoming a part of it.
I've always been someone who enjoys talking to people. Conversations come naturally to me, and over the years I've met countless individuals through work. There was a phase in my career when I was interviewing for different internal projects. Most of those interactions were transactional—an interview, a discussion, and then everyone moved on.
Except one.
We never became friends. We never worked on the same project. In fact, after that interview, we barely spoke. He eventually settled in Toronto while our lives continued on different paths.
A few years later, my first international work trip was finalized—and my destination was Toronto.
Like anyone travelling abroad for the first time, I was excited, nervous, and filled with questions. I reached out to people I knew there, trying to understand the city, transportation, weather, and everyday life.
In the middle of all those conversations, I received an unexpected message from him.
"Let me know your flight details. I'll come to the airport to pick you up."
I was surprised.
Here was someone who wasn't a friend, wasn't a colleague I had worked with, and wasn't even someone I regularly spoke to. We were simply two employees of the same organization whose paths had crossed during an interview.
I politely declined. It didn't feel right to inconvenience someone over the weekend.
He insisted.
Eventually, I agreed.
Anyone familiar with life in Toronto knows how routines evolve there. Many Indians move there for work, settle down with their families, and life revolves around work and home. Social gatherings are mostly limited to the pleasant summer months, while the long winters naturally encourage staying indoors. Weekends become precious.
Leaving the comfort of home to help someone you barely know isn't something you see every day.
Yet, he did exactly that.
The day I landed, he was waiting at the airport.
He greeted me with a warm smile, helped load my luggage into the boot of his car, and we drove towards the city.
At that moment, I realized something simple yet powerful.
Kindness doesn't always come from the people closest to us. Sometimes it comes from someone who owes us absolutely nothing.
The world often reminds us to be cautious of strangers. But every once in a while, a stranger reminds us why it's still worth believing in the goodness of people.
Comments
Post a Comment